Fast forward to this year. After looking at the plexiglass for over two years, I finally decided what to do with them. Make a Worm Slide. I have made a couple of different Worm Slides. One used long, narrow pvc pipes.
To make a new Worm Slide out of one of the plexiglas sheets, I first had to clean out the channels. They were dirty to begin with, but with two more years of sitting outside, they were a mess. How do you get spider webs out of a long, narrow tube.? I used a rag and a long, narrow metal rod as a plunger and they cleaned up nicely.
I wanted to provide easier access to the narrow channels, so I cut 2 - 4" off the top of each channel.
I decided to lay one plexiglass sheet on top of the other in hopes of creating a cascade as the children poured the water into the channels.
There was one big problem with this configuration. The two plexiglass sheets were too heavy together to keep stable on the slant. The tape held for one class period, but I could tell that it was not going to last the week. And besides, because the two sheets were clear, there was no discernible effect with the two sheets on top of each other.
I took the apparatus apart right after class. Fortunately, I had a helper who was willing to plunge into the pvc frame to collect all the worms.
I consider this configuration of a Worm Slide a failure. I recently read a quote from a scientist in which he basically said that science lives on failures. Without failures, we are not compelled to find more and different solutions.
To be continued...