About Me

My photo
Early childhood education has been my life for over 40 years. I have taught all age groups from infants to 5-year-olds. I was a director for five years in the 1980s, but I returned to the classroom 22 years ago. My passion is watching the ways children explore and discover their world. In the classroom, everything starts with the reciprocal relationships between adults and children and between the children themselves. With that in mind, I plan and set up activities. But that is just the beginning. What actually happens is a flow that includes my efforts to invite, respond and support children's interface with those activities and with others in the room. Oh yeh, and along the way, the children change the activities to suit their own inventiveness and creativity. Now the processes become reciprocal with the children doing the inviting, responding and supporting. Young children are the best learners and teachers. I am truly fortunate to be a part of their journey.

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Strategy #2 for changing the sensory table

Last week I began a series of posts about the three strategies I used to make changes more manageable in the sensory table every week for the entire school year.  They were 1)to keep an apparatus for a second week but change the medium in the table; 2)to keep an apparatus for a second week but to add on to the existing structure; 3)to keep an apparatus for a second week but to change its orientation.  To read about the first strategy, here is the link

This week's post is all about strategy #2.  As an example I will start with an apparatus I called the BRIDGE.  I called it that because an I Mac box formed a bridge between a large furniture box and the sensory table.

 
This apparatus essentially expanded the sensory table.  It left the table as a open reservoir for the feed corn.  It also offered the opportunity for the children to transfer the corn between the boxes and back into the table.  I cut numerous holes on different levels in both boxes.  The structure itself created a new play space under the bridge.
 

Here is another view of the apparatus.  The I Mac box was taped to the lip of the table and embedded in the large furniture box making the structure very sturdy

The children found, explored and gladly played on every level of the apparatus through the many holes.

 

You can find the original write up on this apparatus here
 
For a second week, I kept the original bridge apparatus but added two more boxes: another I Mac box and a long square box.

 
The new I Mac box was taped to a planter tray that spanned the width of the table and the long square box was embedded through both I Mace boxes.  By adding more boxes and cutting more holes, I was able to offer the children so many more possibilities for  play and exploration.
 

As you can see, some of that play and exploration was up close and personal.  You can find the original write up on this expanded bridge apparatus here. 
 
Could I have kept adding boxes?  Yes, of course.  In fact one year I kept adding boxes for three weeks until I had over 20 boxes in and around the sensory table.
  
 
Next week: Strategy #3



 





No comments:

Post a Comment